Monday, January 28, 2013

GOOD EATS! Yummy HEALTHY Pizza Pasta Bake

Okay this is a repost from the previous tab that was called "Good Eats".  This is my healthy version of a combination of Pizza Casseroles I found.  I will be posting "revised" recipes to show you examples at how you can eat the foods you love without all the junk that is normally found in them!  I LOVE COMFORT FOOD so this has become my new hobbie! lol!!! 




Healthy and Delish Pizza Pasta Bake
I made this the other night for my family and it was a HUGE SUCCESS! (even for Aaron who can't stand the "healthy subs" most days)
What they used: Penne Pasta
Spaghetti Sauce
Mozzarella Cheese
Pepperoni
Hamburger
Ground Sausage
Fresh Veggies of your choice (favorite pizza toppings)
Garlic


What I used instead:
  • 2 to 3 cups of Gluten Free Penne Pasta (amount of pasta is going to be determined on what type you use and how big of a dish you use. I used 12 oz. box of Penne)
  • 2 jars of Organic Marinara Sauce (use your favorite healthy sauce-homemade is best)
  • 3 cups Skim Milk Mozzarella Cheese
  • 1 package of Turkey Pepperoni
  • 1 lb. of your choice of ground lean meat: buffalo, chicken or turkey (buffalo is my favorite but chicken is my cheaper favorite. I, myself, don't care for ground turkey.)
  • I used 1 package of the Johnsonville Chicken Sausage with Italian Cheese Blend and cut the links up in quarters INSTEAD of ground sausage.
  • Fresh Veggies: Red and Green Bell Peppers, Mushroom, White Onion (you can use any and all the veggies you would want on a pizza in this!)
  • 1 clove of garlic, minced

  • Directions:

    Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
    I used a 13x9 glass baking dish for this recipe.

    Brown your meat and cook your pasta as directed on the package. If you used the Chicken Sausage Links that I used then cut it up in small pieces. Dice all your veggies the way you would like them in a pizza. I left my mushrooms just sliced. After your pasta and meat are finished cooking pour them both into a large mixing bowl. Pour all the veggies and garlic and spaghetti sauce in bowl now. Add just 1 cup of the cheese and if you want some pepperoni in the casserole then you can mix some in now as well. I will just be putting the pepperoni on the top from now on, because it was just too much for me in it and on top of it. Now toss the mixture around so the sauce is covering everything evenly. Pour mixture into the baking dish. Finish off with the remaining 2 cups of cheese over the top (will look similar to lasagna I thought) and put the pepperoni on top of the cheese. It looks like a pizza now!

    Place your casserole in the oven and bake for approximately 45 minutes, or until cheese is melted and turning a little golden brown.

    This dish is so great and so TASTY!!!

    IF YOU DON'T WANT TO USE GLUTEN FREE PASTA you could use one of the following for a healthy twist: 100% Whole Grain, Spelt, Sprouted Wheat, or a Veggie Enriched Pasta!

     
    My motto is "Don't assume you won't like it because the word healthy is in the recipe."

    Enjoy!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment